At Ark Bentworth Primary Academy synthetic phonics is taught through the Read Write Inc. Phonics programme, which is based on "synthetic phonics"; that is, children learn what combinations of letters make all the different sounds in English, how to blend these sounds to make words, and how to decode words when they see these combinations.
This programme is taught in small groups with all reception and year 1 pupils, as well as any pupils in year 2, 3 and 4 who are still learning to decode words.
We assess and group pupils according to their reading progress. In their groups, pupils:
- learn to read and write sounds
- read and spell words containing the sounds they have learnt
- read fiction and non-fiction books which closely match their phonic knowledge
- write about what they have read
- practise letter formation and handwriting
Whole class reading
Once the pupils have secured their phonics skills, they progress into whole class reading. From Year 2 to Year 6, each class has carefully chosen high-quality age-appropriate texts. This selection includes a range of fiction and non-fiction books as well as poems.